Tuesday, July 28, 2009

King David Golf Course


I remember when I first started playing the game I was keen to get an official handicap. My mates then dragged me off to Bellville where we signed up by the Vodacom range. I can't recall everything that the package entailed but included was a "ghost" 2.5 day membership at King David. Good shot I thought - I'm now on my way to becoming official. The only privilege I shared with other members of King David was the free parking in the parking lot, otherwise the entire deal seemed like a money-making pyramid type scheme where the club made all the money. If I wanted to play the Saturday, I could only make a booking on or after the preceding Tuesday - really now.
But I got them back. Buggers. When I did manage to get a booking I would take my R899 all-inclusive -Pro-Voetsek Golf Set and give that course a bashing of note. Pretty much like today, I started out with the Moer-En-Soek philosophy - back then though I would only make contact with the ball 50% of the time. The rest of the time I was a Devout Divot Digger.
I really didn't appreciate the course much back then but admittedly, it was a bit of a poop hole. Not anymore, the course is now in excellent condition and I can honestly say that it's one of the better golf courses in Cape Town. Everything is maintained so well, fairways, greens, rough - alles. I'm sure you'll be able to find one niggle with your home club with regard to conditioning, but at King David there's nothing to moan about.
The last time I played there was in 2003 and I rather enjoyed reminiscing along the well kept fairways. The holes are still as challenging as they were back then and although the course is extremely long, you find yourself wanting to play an extra 9 afterwards.
The Par 3 12th is still one of the best Par 3's I've played and for the first time ever I managed to par the hole - granted though there was no wind at the time.
If you've overlooked King David in the past I seriously recommend that you make an effort to play there as soon as possible. What impresses me even more is the interactive Pro - James Loughnane. Unlike other pro's he doesn't take advantage of his captive market and wait for the opportunity to sell golf lessons and equipment, he really makes an effort to keep all members up to date and even has a very informative newsletter which he send out via e-mail every week. Check his website here: http://www.jamesloughnane.co.za/pro/Default.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Only mad contact 50% of the time? You certainly have come a long way. My calculation is that these days you make contact 80% of the time and that is a vast improvemet. KR.

    ReplyDelete