Friday, July 24, 2009

Parow Golf Course

I was invited by a good mate to play at Parow last week Thursday (R170 affiliated). I vaguely remembered playing this course a few years back and always thought of it as being an "easy" course. It's not.

I found the course extremely challenging (Scored 93) and thoroughly enjoyed my experience. There are some real easy holes but then there are the correctly rated difficult ones - just the perfect combination for a social golfer. It kinda toys with the emotions a bit - I had a few good par's amongst a host of double-bogeys. Be warned though that you will hardly walk off the course with a smile on your face - the 9th is a stroke 2 and the 18th is a stroke 1 - I suppose you need a dose of reality before finishing off.






While on the Tee at the 15th, I could hardly imagine why the Par 5 was a Stroke 5, glancing down the scorecard I noticed that the 16th, a Par 3, was a stroke 9. Rather low strokes for holes which are generally easier to score on. It was only when I grabbed my Burner and addressed the ball did I feel the wind in my face. I suppose the south / south westerly wind has a lot to do with the low rating. I recon it would probably have been a stroke 14+ had the wind been behind us.

The following Par 3 16th has a rather long carry over water. Common sense dictated that the wind was blowing right to left and therefore I should aim further right. Luckily I had a knowledgeable caddy who pointed out that the latter part of the hole is sheltered by buildings (far away) and golfers are always making the mistake of aiming right. I then aimed straight at the flag and proceeded to duff my 5-iron and see my Srixon make a gentle "plop" in the water.

We naturally stayed for a few drinkies and had a rather jovial time on the wooden benches under the trees - a real pub like experience which I'm sure the members take advantage of.

This weekend I'm playing the course where I first started digging up the turf. I must have lost 1000 balls and broken 4 clubs there already. It's the mighty King David.

No comments:

Post a Comment